Thursday, November 5, 2009

Almost a gear post

The moment I saw her, I knew.


I had only been in New York a couple of weeks, and after living for almost two years in the worst dressed city in America, I was surrounded by people who looked like they just stepped out of "Sex and the City." It was freaking me out.


I watched with the fascination of an anthropologist as women sashayed down the street in stilettos so high that I tripped just looking at them. There was jewelry without the tiniest bit of hemp. There were skinny jeans and trendy gladiator sandals and onesies for grown-ups. (I later learned these were known as "rompers." Sure.)


Anyway, I met Sophia at an orientation get-together in the heart of New York's fashion district, and as soon as I got a load of her outfit, my heart swelled with sandalwood-scented joy. 


She was one of us.


Oooooh, she was crunchy, all right. She was wearing Chacos, pretty much a giveaway in itself. But what really sealed the deal was the cotton retro-print dress that she was wearing over jeans.


I knew then and there that we were going to be friends. (My first guess was that she was from Portland. Turned out she was from San Francisco. Surprise, surprise.)


The dress over jeans thing is a staple of my wardrobe. I have several light, casual dresses that I love and I refuse to go through a whole winter season without them. I am not alone in this. I have encountered female ski bums and wilderness guides all over the western U.S. who love the look.





I predict that the fashion plates along Seventh Avenue will be copying me 
by this time next year.

1 comment:

  1. lol how embarrassing! My friends would make big fun of me to hear that I've been pegged as a true hippie (though still a barbie...)

    And I'm not from San Francisco! I actually hate SF! lol

    I've just spent so many years on the Left Coast that I consider myself half Californian.

    I'm a native NYer. Yes, it's true. NY can breed hippies too.

    ReplyDelete