Friday, October 16, 2009

When you get old and start losing your hair/Can you tell me who will still care?

Since my last post,


1) The Red Sox left their heads most decidedly up their asses and got themselves eliminated.
2) The Rockies, my backup team, flamed out shortly thereafter.
3) I don't even want to talk about the Patriots.
4) I saw Barefoot Truth, and they were an explosion of awesomeness and flannel.





I took some pictures, but either my camera was having issues or I just suck at taking low-light photos. I salvaged a couple that weren't too horrible and tinkered with them a bit in Photoshop so that instead of crappy and blurry, they look cool and artistic. Or maybe pretentious and contrived. Your call.










And the next night?


Okay, look. I did something that you might judge me for. And it's cool if you do. I'll understand. But if seeing Hanson in concert makes me a bad half-assed hippie, then I don't want to be right.














With the exception of a few guys (either gay or putting forth an inspired effort to get laid that night), the audience was female and mid-twenties: legions of "MMMBop"-singing teeny boppers all grown up. It was glorious.


Oh, the days when a toss of Zac's long tresses made my heart flutter. I remember going to the orthodontist's office in eighth grade after someone threw a frisbee into my teeth during a game of Ultimate (yet another reason why I'm a bad half-assed hippie: I now freak out when a disc whizzes even remotely close to my face). I had to get my front teeth fixed and I was a teary, hyperventilating mess.


But then a Hanson song came on, and I felt like everything was going to be okay. (How adorable was I? And pathetic?)


Anyway, my point is this: I would have done terrible things for a chance to see them when I was twelve, and I never got the chance.


...until yesterday. Boom. Full circle! No regrets!


As for why I'm talking about them in a blog that's supposed to be about crunchy stuff, they actually organized a one-mile barefoot walk earlier that day as part of their "Use Your Sole" tour. They're raising money for a number of different causes including AIDS treatment and research and drilling wells for clean water in Africa. Good stuff.


I've heard a lot of 1997-themed punchlines in the last 24 hours, but the crazy thing is, Hanson is actually totally legit now. Great musicians, great performers.


And yes, they played "MMMBop."

No comments:

Post a Comment