Saturday, September 19, 2009

Drinkability... check.




Photo credit to charliebay


Went to the Brookyn Brewery recently. Awesome place. It's just what I want a local brewery to be: no-frills, all about the beer, with the evidence of the actual brewing process all over the place.


I tried a few beers: first, the Brooklyn Blast Pale Ale, which is quite strong and very tasty. I love double pale ales - thank you to Steamworks Brewing Company's Conductor Imperial IPA for showing me the way. The Blast had kind of a piney taste to it. If you're looking for more specific information on the maltiness and the nose and whatnot I'm not really qualified to help you out - even though we had a "beer focus" at the beginning of every shift at Steamworks, I'm not nearly enough of a beer connoisseur yet to give an expert opinion. I've been broke enough throughout my twenties that I still consider PBR to be a champagne of beers. There are only a few questions I ask when I try a new beer. Is it drinkable? Yes. Does it give you a bang for your buck? With the Blast, at 8.00% ABV, the answer is yes, indeed it does.


It was my friend's birthday and the bartender was a sweetheart and gave her a free six-pack of their pumpkin ale. Of the various pumpkin-flavored beers I've tried, this might actually be one of my favorites. It has a nice spicy taste - cloves and cinnamon and nutmeg - but isn't overwhelmingly pumpkiny. Which brings me to the question - why isn't pumpkin-flavored beer available year-round? It's so good.


The brewery is open Saturdays and Sundays from noon to 6pm, and they give tours at 1, 2, 3 and 4pm.


Fun fact: the Brooklyn Brewery has been 100% wind-powered since 2003. You gotta love a green local company that's all about renewable energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment